about about shops fave blogs features tutorials

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Giving Tree and some tunes

Last week I found a copy of "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein on one of my thrift shopping sessions.  I was very excited.  I've told you before that that is Sophia's all time favorite book.  I read it over and over to here when she was younger.
I mean over and over and over...really!
But the version we had was the Spanish one.  
Once she learned how to read in English, she taught herself how to read in Spanish.
Then she was able to read it by herself.
A while back Maria my friend, pen pal and blogger asked me if Sophia and Xavi spoke Spanish.
Sophia can have a good conversation and at times serves as a translator and interpreter she's done it at school and with my mom.

Xavi on the other hand only understands it.  At times he mocks some of my phrases.

My husband speaks to the kids in English and I do it in Spanish.  Although at times I see their little faces like 'What did she say?'  Then I change languages to see it they get it...
and it so happens they don't get it either.
I know they're kids but what do they want from me Chinese??? 
oh yeah, they are just not listening period.
Back to the book...great little story I found this video on you tube spoken by the author himself.



Isn't it cute?, I also love the story.   Have you read the book?
It reminds me of the relationship of a mother and a child...
By the way Sophia said the Spanish version is still her favorite!

One more thing I'd like to share is this short video of a vintage music box I have for sale.
A customer asked what song it played, I never really payed attention.
So I recorded it.  It's the song "Raindrops keep falling on my head."


One of those songs that you just can't get out of your head ah?

4 comments:

  1. I actually want to read this. I can't believe I never have. I want to give it to me niece and nephew as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I loved Shel Silverstein as a kid. One year all I wanted from Santa was Where the Sidewalk Ends. Well Christmas morning I cried because I didn't get it as I was opening presents. My parents did get it but put it off to the side. They sort of enjoyed torturing us a little!

    Your family sounds like my sister in law's. She understood spanish growing up and could speak it since her parents spoke spanish at home. However she couldn't write it so she learned through school and college. My nieces and nephew barely understand any of it since my brother is not bilingual. It is definitely a great tool for the kids to know both languages well if they can learn the second language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Shel Silverstein, and so do my girls. We were actually reading it last night! My youngest needed to pick a poem to read in class and she went for the favorite ... where the sidewalk ends. Yep, a classic. How wonderful that you keep both languages alive in your home, and yes not listening is universal - no matter the language!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my all-time favourite books; I still have the one that was given to me as a child. I can never read it all the way through without feeling myself choking up!

    ReplyDelete

your comments put a smile on my face go ahead leave one! :)

 
@moncy3.com 2009-2016