about about shops fave blogs features tutorials

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Featured artist Lisa from MessyBedStudio

Hello dear friends and readers I am sure glad I am back blogging I missed the interaction with you guys.  I am aching to make time to give the blog a makeover ok ok just a new header would do. I am bringing back the featured artist interviews.  It is always nice to learn about the person behind the artist I really enjoy it and  hope you do too.  This Sunday please meet Lisa, her etsy shop is MessyBedStudio.  Her great source of inspiration are the simplest things like colors, words or light! Enjoy this interview and stop by her shop.

1. Tell us as little or as much as you would like about yourself.
My name is Lisa and I live in the country in Upstate NY. I have 3 just about grown kids, a dog and a cat who has a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personality.


nature mixed media painting grid squares
2. What do you sell?
In my shop I have mostly small mixed media pieces: little canvases that I have painted, collaged and written on as well as plastered, sewn and glued. Then there are handmade cards and hand painted moleskine notebooks. I’ve also just finished up the 3rd annual fortune cookie wisdom calendar for 2014. Oh yes and there’s a little bit of vintage mixed in there too.

3. Why handmade?
For as long as I can remember I have always been making something or thinking about making something. It feels like a compulsion. Even when my kids were young and I didn’t have time to make much myself, we were always making things together whether it was painting, knitting or cooking a meal. As they grew up I had more time to work on the ideas that were floating around in my head. My kids were the ones to encourage me to open Messy Bed Studio.

2014 Calendar fortune cookie wisdom calendar
4. Where does your inspiration to create come from and/or your inspiration in life?
I am inspired by color and words or the way the light looks when the sun is setting, things like that. I also love to go to galleries and museums to see contemporary art exhibitions.

5. Besides creating what else do you do? Do you have a full time job? I started out, way back when, as a typesetter and then moved on to be a graphic designer. When I had my children I was lucky enough to be able to stay home with them. Now that my youngest has gone off to college I have more time for Messy Bed Studio!

6. When did you start thinking you were an artist? When I was 8 years old I got one of the best gifts ever. It was a long flat box of 72 crayola crayons with a sharpener, all laid out like colored pencils. I’m not sure I thought I was an artist then but I knew I wanted to be one.

Anniversary card
7. Who has been most influential in your craft work? My father. When I was a kid he worked a job fixing oil burners. The company he worked for provided him with fabric scraps to use as rags on the job. Well I took one look at this bag of calicos, stripes and plaids and decided I was going to make a quilt. He handed that bag over and got me more so I would have enough. I had never made a quilt before and these were the days before internet so I had no idea what I was doing but that didn’t matter to him. He may not have understood all of my crazy ideas but he was always there to support me

8. Where would you like to be in five years? I’d like to be a non-starving artist.

Key collage ornament wood block art
9. Is there anything you'd like to try doing that you haven't done? crafts, sports, life in general? I would like to try encaustic, different kinds of print making, photography, maybe make a short little video. I’d like to travel and write a book and take cooking lessons in Italy and learn yoga and take life drawing classes. I think the list might be endless.

10. Besides online where else do you sell? Right now I’m selling mainly through my Etsy shop. I have sold work in exhibitions and in a brick and mortar vintage shop I ran a few years back.



Ways to contact you:
*etsy shop*
*website*
*blog*
*pinterest*
email messybedstudio@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the feature Claudia! So excited to be here on your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back! and love your interviews :) Thanks for introducing Lisa to us

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa's work is wonderful! Another enjoyable interview. :)

    ReplyDelete

your comments put a smile on my face go ahead leave one! :)

 
@moncy3.com 2009-2016