about about shops fave blogs features tutorials

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Featured artist Vanya from VanessaHandmade

For today's feature I bring to you Vanya from VanessaHandmade.  She sells sophisticated and unique wearable sculptures. Her etsy shop is unique indeed, please read on and enjoy the interview and your Sunday.

1. Tell us as little or as much as you would like about yourself.
My real name is Vanya. I spent the last 5-6 years abroad. I had the pleasure to live in two unique places of the world in Greece and Australia. Foreign people couldn't pronounce my name and called me Vanessa. All my life was full of unexpected twists, adventure and drama. Now I am so happy to be back in my small beautiful country Bulgaria ( Eastern Europe). I live with my son - a lovely teenage boy.

Choker Necklace Crochet Tube Wrapped Bloom
2. What do you sell?
I sell unconventional fiber jewelry with tube concept , mostly necklaces. I divide my creations in two lines: one-of-a-kind and items that are originally designed by me and I can repeat them in different colors or size. I try to satisfy the different kinds of women taste, keeping my tube style of work.
Most of my jewelry are created especially for woman, who value originality and like to be different from the crowd, I want them to make every outfit remarkable and unique. I don't follow any trendy styles, I work on my own. The products of my imagination have a natural flow and their own quirks. My style is eye-catching, unconventional, unusual and distinctive compared to most commercialized accessory lines.

3. Why handmade?
This is what I do. I cannot exist without doing something with my hands. Handmade products have their own soul embodied by their creator. People who own or wear them get a feeling of something special.
Crochet Tube Hoop Earrings Chocolate Brown

4. Where does your inspiration to create come from and/or your inspiration in life?
I see the tube as a geometric line that can be curved into many shapes and forms using a wire inside. My inspiration comes from all natural free forms around us. I admire and love all irregular and asymmetrical shapes created by nature.
I also get inspired by experimenting with my materials. They are an important part, generating new ideas in my mind.
I love to combine vintage treads with my personal natural beach findings. I also use artificial elements.
I don't use patterns in my work, just a simple crochet technique and put my mind in the sculpturing.
I work in several points – the shape, the accent, the combination of colors. Each item takes a lot of time to make but I like what I do and give it a lot of love and attention.

5. Besides creating what else do you do? Do you have a full time job?
I’m independent and self-taught in everything handmade I do.
I’ve always wanted to turn my talents into a profession but I was unlucky. I graduated from law university and worked as lawyer for a couple of years after my studies. For quite a lot of time I had inner struggles between these different worlds. Finally I followed the desire of my heart and I chose to stay with my full-time creative work.
Scarlet Heart Necklace Wrapped Crochet Tube
6. When did you start thinking you were an artist?
My whole life is dedicated to art and everything handmade. I began making things as a little girl - painting, mixed media wall decoration, original clothing, jewelry and lots more!
I know that I can do anything that anyone else can't but as well I know there are people who can do more than me. Talent is not learned, it develops. People are born with it and when it is shown to the world and evaluated, then the others start thinking about you as an artist.
So, I’ve always felt as a creator but more important is whether people see me as an artist.

7. Who has been most influential in your craft work?
I don't have any idol who influenced me in particular.
I admire and really like all things that are non-traditional, abstract, artistic, contemporary, different and special.
The things that could be influential in any craft work are the trends, the customer audience, the feedback.
I can say that I always follow my inner sense in my work and try to interpret some of these influences into my own artistic point of view and put them into my line of work.

8. Where would you like to be in five years?
I'm impulsive in nature and really don't know but one is sure, wherever I am, I'd like to be healthy, first and foremost, to continue to grow and enjoy creating beautiful objects.

Handmade Bib Necklace
9. Is there anything you'd like to try doing that you haven't done? crafts, sports, life in general?
Oh my gosh, so many things!

10. Besides online where else do you sell?
I’ve done custom orders many years, sales at exhibitions and craft fairs. Now, mainly online. Etsy is the place where I present and sell my work worldwide.

Ways to contact you:
e-mail: vanessahandmade@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Vanya's work is so beautiful! I think it is awesome that she has followed her heart and able to make being creative a full time career!

    ReplyDelete

your comments put a smile on my face go ahead leave one! :)

 
@moncy3.com 2009-2016