about about shops fave blogs features tutorials

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Featured artist Eva from TheBlueRabbitHouse April 14

Today's featured artist is Eva from TheBlueRabbitHouse, all of her handmade products are inspired by nature as she tells on this interview.  Thank you for stopping by and please enjoy this interview.

1. Tell us as little or as much as you would like about yourself.
My name is Eva Vercauteren and I'm a 23-year old Belgian crafter, living in the center of Antwerp. I live here with the love of my life and our two adorable cats. My work is a combination of illustration, embroidery and sewing.

Lavender sachet Hand embroidery
2. What do you sell?
My main focus is to combine my love for illustration and nature with the products I make. To me, you have to be able to use and/or wear an illustration instead of putting it on a shelf or on the wall and leaving it there, unseen. Therefore I sell storage products such as crochet hook holders, jewelry rolls, large and small zipper pouches, mobile phone cases and I plan on expanding my product line in the future even more. Some contain a hand embroidered illustration, some just have a beautiful (mostly vintage looking floral) fabric. Almost a year ago I added a jewelry line with my own illustrations.

3. Why handmade?
As long as I can remember I've been drawing. I learned to crochet and cross stitch at a very early age, so while growing up I regularly picked up the craft. During high school I taught myself more crochet and embroidery stitches. Handmade is just a part of me. I need and want to work with my hands. It's just very important and I wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't craft anymore.

Oval Antique Brass Necklace
4. Where does your inspiration to create come from and/or your inspiration in life?
Nature has been a major source of inspiration. My illustration are minimalistic and yet full of details. Nature gives me the same feeling. I'm attracted to a rustic style. Art wise, I'm very inspired by the art movements zero, minimalism and land art.

5. Besides creating what else do you do? Do you have a full time job?
I have a part time job apart from running my own business. I work at a store where they sell all sorts of things (fashion accessories, tights, socks, sewing material, so on). One day I hope to open my own little shop, so I'm gaining a lot of experience from my part time job. It helps socially too, because I'm mostly on my own while crafting.

6. When did you start thinking you were an artist?
I've never been really fond of the term "artist", but I guess it started the moment I decided I wanted to make a living out of illustrating - which was around the time I was 13 or 14. I can't exactly remember. I had this idea of living at the countryside in a small cottage, surrounded by animals and a large garden. I'd draw all day long. The idea changed a little, because I'd be crafting too! It's still something I dream off. I'm very lucky to have a supportive boyfriend, who'd love to live at a place like that too.

Pencil Storage Pouch
7. Who has been most influential in your craft work?
There isn't really one person who gives me the most inspiration or influences me the most. I think the support of my boyfriend, family and close friends is the most important source which keeps me going. There's nothing I can't ask them and they're always very honest with their opinions. I appreciate this so much! There's one Belgian illustrator who inspired me a lot when I was younger and I'm still a huge fan of her work: Sabien Clement.

8. Where would you like to be in five years?
I hope to have my own line of fabrics by then. That's a goal I set up a couple of years ago. I want to combine my illustration more into my crafting and learn more about embroidery. Maybe I'd like to have my own little shop by then. I'll see how that goes!

Antique Brass Earrings
9. Is there anything you'd like to try doing that you haven't done?
crafts, sports, life in general?
A couple of years ago I started archery. The club I was in wasn't what I had expected of it and there wasn't any other one nearby. So I had to stop this hobby. I'd like to pick it up one day. I'd love to learn how to weave too or just follow a course at a textile design school. At secondary school I learned to etch and silk screen. Learning more about this is somewhere on my list too. The list is actually way too long!

10. Besides online where else do you sell?
I have three stockists within Belgium and a fourth is on its way. I try to join as many craft fairs as possible. It can be very stressful, but I love to have this type of social contact with the visitors who purchase my products. Outside of Belgium, I only sell through Etsy.

Ways to contact you:
email: thebluerabbithouse@gmail.com

6 comments:

  1. wonderful interview and enjoyed seeing her products - going to hop over to check out her etsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing feature, very interesting interview! I wish Eva will gain her goals as soon as possible! Love her works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I love Eva's work, my mom has a very pretty cellphone case, but my absolutely favorite pieces are the embroidered things :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great feature! Love this works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of the items you featured here remind me of spring--light and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eva's work is so pretty. I love the daintiness and inspiration of nature! Having her own line of fabrics is such an exciting goal.

    ReplyDelete

your comments put a smile on my face go ahead leave one! :)

 
@moncy3.com 2009-2016