about about shops fave blogs features tutorials

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Featured artist...Jessica from EnchantingStamps

This week I bring to you Jessica from EnchantingStamps.  Her Etsy shop is full of lovely stamping goodies.

1. Tell us as little or as much as you would like about yourself.
My name is Jessica. I am a mom to two sweet little boys, a wife, and a California Bay Area Native. I have lived in the CA Bay Area my whole life, and really appreciate the diversity and beauty available to me here.
I have been creating art and crafts from a very early age. My Great-Grandmother taught me to knit and crochet when I was around the age of 5. I really feel like this laid a foundation of a life long love of creating with my hands.

Flower Pot Rubber Stamp set Hand Carved 
2. What do you sell?
I sell hand-carved rubber stamps. My inspiration for selling stamps came from my desire to learn how to carve and create my own stamps to make block printed clothing. After carving a few stamps I soon realized how much I enjoyed the process, from designing, to carving, to stamping. So, I started selling the stamps I was making and here I am. I also sell Fabric Designs through Spoonflower which have been designed using my stamps: www.spoonflower.com/profiles/jessnicole

3. Why handmade?
For me Handmade goes beyond the item being created. It touches on so many facets of what it means to be human.

Everything I make with my hands carries with it a bit of me, or at least my essence. Selling my handmade creations is a way of connecting with others on a very tangible yet subtle level.
There are so many reasons to create with our hands, give and receive handmade items and sell handmade.





4. Where does your inspiration to create come from and/or your inspiration in life?
My inspiration to create comes from many places. Mostly nature and whatever I am currently interested in. For example, my children recently both had birthdays. I decided to plan a Pirate Themed party for them. I soon become so enthralled with Pirate Paraphernalia that I created a couple sets of Pirate Themed stamps for my shop.

Pirate Rubber Stamp Hand Carved Set
As I mentioned, Nature is a constant inspiration. I try to create stamps of things I find beautiful and interesting in Nature.

5. Besides creating what else do you do? Do you have a full time job?

Sometimes it feels like I have 4 jobs! Being a mother to two boys as well as a wife feels like a couple of jobs right there. I also work part time at my local health food store. I have always been interested in Natural Health and Wellness, so I love working there!

6. When did you start thinking you were an artist?

At a very young age. As I mentioned my Great-Grandmother before teaching me to knit and crochet, I also have a Grandmother who spent much time with me and encouraged my creativity. I feel like she really helped me to feel like an artist early in my life.

Hand Carved Train Stamp Set
7. Who has been most influential in your craft work?
I'd have to give credit to my fellow Etsy sellers. Over the years of selling on Etsy I have been constantly inspired and impressed by the creativity and success many of them have. They have influence my work in many ways.

Hand Carved Full Moon Stamp
8. Where would you like to be in five years?
I'd like to be scouting out my little piece of paradise. A few acres of land for my family and I to start our homestead.

9. Is there anything you'd like to try doing that you haven't done? crafts, sports, life in general?

I have dabbled in so many crafts along the years. And, still take up most of them from time to time. Though I've been meaning to try rug hooking. It'd be fun to have my own handmade rugs to walk on.



10. Besides online where else do you sell?
I sell in a couple of local stores here in the Bay Area. One of them is Sticky Art Lab in Berkeley CA.

Ways to contact you:
Instagram: JessNicole1111 or #enchantingstamps

4 comments:

your comments put a smile on my face go ahead leave one! :)

 
@moncy3.com 2009-2016