about about shops fave blogs features tutorials

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Featured artist Nadine from Red Pepper Hats

Today I introduce to you Nadine from Red Pepper Hats.  She runs this great etsy shop full of gorgeous hats and accessories for women and children.  Enjoy this interview and Nadine's talent!

1. Tell us as little or as much as you would like about yourself.
Hi my name is Nadine, I am Dutch and live with my husband and 3 young children in Italy. I studied to become an airline pilot and worked for 10 years for a UK based Airline. Life moved fairly quickly and before I knew it I was living in Italy with 3 kids all under 3. It was at that point I decided to become a full time mum and give up my career. I have always been very creative and this was the right time for me to spend time doing what I love. I have never looked back and don't regret giving up my career as a pilot. I love what I am doing now I get to be creative and still be a mum to my 3 kids!


2. What do you sell?
In my shop you can find hats for women and children. My hats are handmade using the traditional wooden block method. I also make and sell headbands for girls, Indian headdresses, leather phone covers and birthday crowns.

Pink Flower headband
3. Why handmade?
With handcrafted items I can put all my passion and creativity into the item, without compromising the quality of my products.

4. Where does your inspiration to create come from and/or your inspiration in life?
I get inspired by nature a lot, I love the four seasons and the ever changing colours that go with them. My favourite seasons are spring and autumn, spring brings beautiful flowers while in autumn I love to see the leaves changing their colors into red/brownish. I also take inspiration from my children.
 

5. Besides creating what else do you do? Do you have a full time job?
I am a full time mother which I thoroughly enjoy. As well as designing and creating things while my children are at school I am also a keen runner. I also take Italian lessons and enjoy Pilates classes.

Girls feather headdress
 6. When did you start thinking you were an artist?
I have never really thought of myself as an artist. I come from a very creative family. So it is something I have grown up with. My dad paints my mum makes ceramics and my brother and sisters have creative jobs.
I get huge pleasure from creating things and I strive to make my products to a very high standard, I am a bit of a perfectionist.

7. Who has been most influential in your craft work?
I would have to say my mum, she was the one who taught me to knit and crochet when I was a little girl. She always encouraged me to try new things and never to give up if a thing didn't work out the first time.

8. Where would you like to be in five years?
I never look that far ahead but I would like to have a new website up and running by winter. I also would really like to concentrate my time on making more hats and headbands with a view to creating a winter and summer collection of hats.

Black Beret
9. Is there anything you'd like to try doing that you haven't done?
crafts, sports, life in general?

I think of myself being very lucky as my studies and job as a pilot have allowed me the opportunity to live in and enjoy other countries and experience different cultures. Traveling has given me a lot of positive energy and I look forward to taking our children on trips to different places and countries so they can also enjoy and learn what other countries and cultures have to offer.

Flower headband


10. Besides online where else do you sell?
Besides my online shop on etsy I sell some of my products in 2 shops in Italy with a third one on it's way. I also have a few items in a shop in Edinburgh, Scotland.




Ways to contact you:
::etsy. shop:: 
::website::
::facebook.::
email redpepperhats@hotmail.com

1 comment:

  1. The hats are wonderful! Nadine is so talented. What a transition going from an airline pilot to a creative stay at home mom! :)

    ReplyDelete

your comments put a smile on my face go ahead leave one! :)

 
@moncy3.com 2009-2016