about about shops fave blogs features tutorials

Monday, March 26, 2012

Featured artist: Susannah from SusannahTuckerPhotography

 Please Meet Susannah From SusannahTuckerPhotography

1. Tell us as little or as much as you would like about yourself.
My name is Susannah, and I love to create. I love to take photos, and then process them with textures, adding layers and words to create whimsical images. I love to then find a way to make them useful or pretty, not just as a photo but as part of an object. I love the colour blue. I love coffee, and chocolate, and a glass of wine at 5pm on Friday. I love snuggling on the couch and watching a movie with the kids. I love how much my daughter loves to draw. I love listening to my little guy come up with things he knows will make us laugh. I love watching my husband play drums.I love the beach, and swimming in a pool. I love Melbourne. I love where we now live – small town New Zealand.

Susannah's Little guy!
2. What do you sell?
I sell prints, photo blocks, note cards/postcards, and now jewellery through 2 collaborations/license agreements – Heart Works by Lori in the States, and Eden Ripley here in New Zealand.

Susannah's studio
3. What type of photography do you specialize in (for example, photojournalism, action photography, fashion photography, art photography, travel photography, portraiture photography)? Why does that type of photography interest you?
I specialize in fine art photography, which interests me as I get to work at my own pace, and have control over most aspects. I have a vision of the shots I would like, and I can make that happen.

Fine Art Photography
4. Where does your inspiration to create come from and/or your inspiration in life?
It comes from so many places, sometimes predictable, sometimes random – when the sky is blue, flowers at dusk, hot air balloons and other whimsical delights, magazines, peoples houses. A lot of it comes from things my children say and/or do. The photo ‘Today would be a lovely day to be a butterfly’ comes from a walk when Annabel was younger and we were out enjoying the sun. ‘i love you to the stars and moon and flowers and fairies’ photo is something Annabel whispered to me in the middle of the night.


5. Besides creating what else do you do? Do you have a full time job?
I am a full time Mum to 2 wonderful little people. Annabel is 5, so in school, and Otis is nearly 3 and will be off to Kindy soon, so I will have some time then to dedicate properly to work on my photography part time.


Hot Air ballons
6. When did you start thinking you were an artist?
I actually still struggle with calling myself an artist. At what point do we get to sit back and feel we have earned that title? I think being self taught and having no degree or diploma in photography, no piece of paper that officially states ‘you are an artist/photographer’, I might struggle on confidence a bit. I like to think more of myself as creative – and I have been creative since I was a child. Carving my name into furniture, writing on the walls, then graduating to learning cross stitch in front of the TV, and on to art at high school, taking photos as I travelled around London and Europe on my big OE in my 20’s, I didn’t seriously start thinking about selling my photos until 2008.

7. Who has been most influential in your craft work?
I think one thing I will always remember is something a most admired photographer {Fleur Wickes - www.fleurwickes.co.nz} said to me. It was about 10 years ago, and I was working as her assistant on a wedding. We were in the car driving to the wedding, chatting (well, she chatted, I was so nervous I think I said the odd sentence here and there!), and she said to me ‘ I think you would be really good at it (photography)’. Fleur was so encouraging, and to hear that from a photographer who is so talented and successful, well, I have always held that close.

Photo Locket Necklace
8. Where would you like to be in five years?
On a photo assignment of some sort in New York City!

9. Is there anything you'd like to try doing that you haven't done?
crafts, sports, life in general?

I would LOVE to learn how to sew! I have started a fabric collection, and dream about things I could make, but daydreaming and actually being able to create are very different things!

10. Besides online where else do you sell?
I sell at local markets, through Society 6 ( a website I adore!), to a few shops in Australia and Spain, and I license a selection of images to a wonderful company here in NZ, Eden Ripley, that stocks my work as jewellery, fine art prints and photo blocks to retailers in NZ.


 ways to contact you: 

3 comments:

  1. Susannah's photographs are so beautiful! The child photos are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Claudia for including me here on your blog!
    ~Susannah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!nice stuff use this Epson Premium Glossy Photo for it is a fantastic material for your business.

    EPSON Ultra Premium Luster Photo Paper

    ReplyDelete

your comments put a smile on my face go ahead leave one! :)

 
@moncy3.com 2009-2016