about about shops fave blogs features tutorials

Monday, March 19, 2012

Featured artist: Linda from Artsysewin

This Monday I bring you Linda  from Arstysewin she also has another shop Glasstortoise
Please read on and enjoy this interview!

1. Tell us as little or as much as you would like about yourself.
My name is Linda and I live with my husband in the desert of central Washington State. We moved here from Portland, OR, which I love and miss like crazy, about 6 years ago. I have, though, learned to appreciate the uniqueness of the desert in comparison with green dampness of Portland.

 Linda
2. What do you sell?
I have two Etsy shops. In one shop, GlassTortoise, I sell my handmade glass and beaded jewelry items. I have worked in glass – stained, fused, lamp work – for many years. I love seeing the glass melt and take on a different form and color. I create glass beads to use in the jewelry I make and sell. I also slump recycled bottles into spoon rests and trays. I also create many focal beads and other glass and bead items.
In my other Etsy shop, Artsy Sewin’, I sell handmade recycled felted wool and needle felted items, and doll clothes for Asian ball-jointed dolls and high fashion tonner dolls – these are collector dolls, not toy dolls. I also sell handmade needle worked items

Felted recycled Wool Stuffed Bear
3. Why handmade?
I love handmade items, receiving and giving them. I think there is something very special about a person taking the time to hand make something for someone else. It takes a lot more thought and planning than running into a store and buying whatever is on sale.

4. Where does your inspiration to create come from and/or your inspiration in life?
I get inspiration from everything around me - from the colors of nature and the changes of the seasons to taking notice of what others are creating. I spent many hours when I was a little girl drawing and painting my own paper dolls and then, when I was older, making my own clothes. To me, someone’s birthday or Christmas, was an excuse to create something homemade for everyone.




5. Besides creating what else do you do? Do you have a full time job?
I have spent the last 20 years working as a legal assistant, but am now pretty much retired and finally have much more time to spend on my love of creating and working on my Etsy and Artfire sites.

Blue Glass Beads, Faceted Rondelle, Silver Beads Bracelet
6. When did you start thinking you were an artist?
Art has always been a part of my life in some way or another. I took art classes every chance I got and have always expressed my art and creativeness in any way possible. I think I have always been an artist.

7. Who has been most influential in your craft work?
My mother was probably the first person to get me attracted to making things. She certainly gave me my first sewing lessons when I was very young and encouraged me always to be creative. My daughter now gives me inspiration in the art she creates.

8. Where would you like to be in five years?
In five years I am hoping to be healthy and creating and producing beautiful artful items and enjoying my family.

Soft Sculpture Stuffed Doll

9. Is there anything you’d like to try doing that you haven’t done? Crafts, sports, life in general?
I am constantly seeing new crafts or thinking of new ideas that I want to try.

Grey and Multicolor Wool Recycled Sweater Bag with Flowers
10. Besides online where else do you sell?
I sell on Etsy and Artfire and spent last summer selling at the local farmer’s market.

Ways to contact me:

1 comment:

  1. The toys are so-so pretty :) and glass art is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

your comments put a smile on my face go ahead leave one! :)

 
@moncy3.com 2009-2016