about about shops fave blogs features tutorials

Monday, November 21, 2011

Featured artist: Heidi from heidibg

Today I bring you Heidi from heidibg  take a look at all her lovely handmade goodies she offers and enjoy this warm interview!


1. Tell us as little or as much as you would like about yourself.
I was born and raised in the Indiana countryside and I now find myself living in the middle of Indianapolis with my 3 year old son Jack, but I long to return to my rural roots someday. I've illustrated 3 children's books and am currently working on a fourth.

Heidi and her son Jack
2. What do you sell?
I sell sock monkeys, buntings and artwork for nurseries and kid's rooms as well as personalized illustrated portraits.

Long Fabric Bunting
3. Why handmade? 
To me Handmade means something that's special and one-of-a-kind.  I come from a long line of creative individuals - quilters, crocheters, seamstresses, woodworkers - you name it. I grew up in a very do-it-yourself Mennonite household - my dad still makes furniture and the like for me whenever I ask. There's also a great personal satisfaction in coming up with an idea in your head and seeing it come to fruition with your own two hands. It's such a crazy and wonderful feeling when someone likes something you've made enough to want it for their own.

4. Where does your inspiration to create come from and/or your inspiration in life? 
Inspiration is everywhere. I take inspiration for my kid's stuff directly from my son. The crazy things he says and does and the honest way he makes fun out of just about anything gives me such a positive outlook on everything. I especially love going to antique stores and salvage yards or looking at old vintage fabric. I love things that have a history.

Sock Monkey Ornament
5. Besides creating what else do you do? 
Do you have a full time job? I am a full-time mom, the part-time circulation manager of the Angie's List magazine, children's book illustrator, sometimes website designer and the resident artist for a very unique farm market/restaurant here in town which requires me to do everything from painting peaches to picking up apples from Hoosier farmers.

6. When did you start thinking you were an artist? 
I feel really uncomfortable calling myself an artist actually for some reason or another. I graduated with an Art Major so I do have a technical background but it feels weird and elitist to call myself an artist sometimes. I've been creating since I was old enough to hold a crayon so it didn't really start, it's just always been. 

Alphabet Wall Cards
7. Who has been most influential in your craft work? 
That's a tough one, so many people influence your life and in turn your art. My mother is an excellent seamstress and old of my biggest cheerleaders. My dad is a very practical accountant but never even flinched when I said I wanted to be an art major. I've been blessed to have a sister and brother and so many friends that are so positive and encouraging.  I've been surrounded by people that believe in me and what I do since day one - that it helps me believe in myself. They all influence me and my work.
 
8. Where would you like to be in five years?  
I'd like to be living in an old house that I'm rehabbing with a little bit of land for a garden and some beehives and plenty of room for my child to run. I'd like to be creating full-time in addition to raising my family.


Argyle Sock Monkey
9. Is there anything you'd like to try doing that you haven't done?
crafts, sports, life in general? I would like to learn to play the banjo. I took some guitar lessons in college which were great but I didn't have the time to pursue it. Banjo music is great and it would be so fun to learn to play. I also want to keep bees I always have - but one must have the proper living space to do so.

10. Besides online where else do you sell? 
Friends and family frequently commission me to do work for them but as of now I'm not in any brick and mortar shops. I'm hoping to make that happen in 2012.



ways to contact you: 

5 comments:

  1. I can't resist to those monkey's smiles! :)) Very cool stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how fantastic! Heidi rules, and so does her shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love heidi's work. wonderful interview I love learning about fellow etsians

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh, her sock monkey ornaments would be perfect for my ornament exchange! so cute :)

    i love these features claudia. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi is so talented! I love her artwork. The sock monkeys are so fun!!! ~Val

    ReplyDelete

your comments put a smile on my face go ahead leave one! :)

 
@moncy3.com 2009-2016