about about shops fave blogs features tutorials

Monday, February 13, 2012

Featured artist: Mandy from TheLightFantastic

Dear friends and readers please meet Mandy from TheLightFantastic.  I came across her shop and I  instantly fell in love with her photography.  What do I  know about photography??  nothing but I like her etsy shop vintage inspired photography.  I hope you like it too!



Mandy
 1. Tell us as little or as much as you would like about yourself.
My name is Mandy. I love Polaroids and reading books. I prefer tea over coffee, The Clash over The Sex Pistols, and if it has a bow on it , I'll buy it. Bows on everything.

Just Married 8x8 Fine Art Print
2. What do you sell?
I sell pretty photos, calendars, and little handmade photo pendants.

3. What type of photography do you specialize in (for example, photojournalism, action photography, fashion photography, art photography, travel photography, portraiture photography)? Why does that type of photography interest you?
My shop is mostly still life and portraiture, but I've started doing some landscape photography, too. Portraits were my first love, and I think they've influenced how I take pictures now. I see objects and landscapes the same way I see people. I'm just trying to show everyone what lovely personalities these things have.

4. Where does your inspiration to create come from and/or your inspiration in life?
I have inspiration ADD. A song, a movie, a pretty dress, whatever. All these things speak, and they inspire me to make art. I'm on sensory overload about 90% of the time. Coincidentally, I'm on Pinterest about 90% of the time, too. I make my best work when I tune all that stuff out and focus on one thing. It's hard when there's so much beauty out there.

Renewal 5x 5 Fine Art Print
5. Besides creating what else do you do? Do you have a full time job?
Photography, both the artistic side and the business side, is a full time job for me. If I'm not staring at a computer screen (always), I'm thinking about or writing about what to make next.

6. When did you start thinking you were an artist?
I was always an artist. I've been making things since I was little. Sewing, drawing, anything. My imaginary friend was Vincent Van Gogh. When I was a kid, artists were cool and I wanted to be like them. Well, except for Paul Gauguin, he was a jerk.

7. Who has been most influential in your craft work?
I have a handful of photographers that I love like crazy. Their work has had a major impact on mine. Sally Mann, Yelena Yemchuk, Francesca Woodman. Brilliant ladies. My mom's a brilliant lady, too, and always encouraged me to make pretty things. We even went to art school together. We drew naked models together. It was awkward, hilarious, and so much fun.

Bird Girl 11x 14 Fine Art Photography
8. Where would you like to be in five years?
I really want to make stop motion movies. I want to direct. It's ambitious, but I think I could really kill it. I would also like to live in a farmhouse with big windows and fancy chickens.

9. Is there anything you'd like to try doing that you haven't done?
crafts, sports, life in general?

I'd like to get back in the darkroom, back to developing my own film and prints. But most of all, I want to be a roller derby girl. Being sweet and precious all the time can be exhausting. I say 'yes' to wearing roller skates and knocking teeth out. It's like Fight Club, but, you know, with bows.


Two Girls 4x6 Fine Art Print
10. Besides online where else do you sell?
I sell on Etsy and Society6, but I've also done farmers markets and craft shows. I'm hoping to do the Renegade Craft Fair in Chicago in the next year or so. So much work, but so fun!

                Ways to contact you:
                             shop 
                             blog
                           twitter
                         Facebook
                         Pinterest 
                           email


1 comment:

  1. Unique photos. I love how Mandy has incorporated her work into wearable pendants!

    ReplyDelete

your comments put a smile on my face go ahead leave one! :)

 
@moncy3.com 2009-2016