about about shops fave blogs features tutorials

Monday, April 23, 2012

Featured artist: Morgan from Kingsoleil

This Monday's feature is Morgan from KingSoleil, now Morgan has a fabulous etsy boutique where she sells beautiful art decor, children's clothes, baby blankets, rugs and more with a mix of upcycled and crochet all handmade of course!  Did I mention I super duper like upcycled times? Go ahead read on.


1. Tell us as little or as much as you would like about yourself.
Hello!  My name is Morgan and I am the owner and designer of KingSoleil, a boutique featuring handmade, upcycled, embroidered and crochet products for baby & nursery, children, special occasion, and home. 

KingSoleil was born to incorporate two loves in my life: being a stay-at-home mommy to my children, Kingston and Soleil, and sharing intricately handmade, one-of-a-kind treasures for you and the little ones in the world.  The design focus blends modern lines and color with a child safe, eco-conscious, family friendly sensibility. 


My goal?  Rather than tromping through our planet in clunky archaic boots, let’s lighten our carbon footprint for this generation and that of our children by gliding in feather light stilettos.  The outdated schema of recycling; muddy brown paper, muted color, and ill-fitting hand-me-downs is long gone.  Elegance and modernism are brought to life incorporating upcycled, organic, and sustainable materials with traditional, age-old crafts and techniques.


Nursery Art Embroidery Hoop
2. What do you sell? 
The Baby Layette and Children’s Upcycled Clothing Line are made from high quality recycled fabrics like cashmere, silk, and merino wools, and include crochet and hand-sewn detailing.  Upcycled and organic crochet rugs, as well as upcycled fabric embroidery hoop art, add a touch of eco-friendliness charm to the home and nursery.  Special Occasion Tutu Dresses are perfect for weddings and black tie events to birthday parties.  Crochet clothing, accessories, and baby blankets are made with love, stitch by stitch, inch by inch.



3. Why handmade?
 I remember soon after I taught myself how to crochet I was sitting in the car while both of my children were sleeping in the backseat, waiting until they woke up so we could go for a little hike.  I realized, however, that I forgot Kingstons mittens at home, Uh oh!  A light bulb went off and I reached in my bag, grabbed a ball of burgundy alpaca yarn that I had just purchased a couple days ago and a hook I happened to have in my purse, and began to crochet him a pair of little mittens.  They weren't perfect, one a bit larger than the other, and a tad short once I put them on, but they kept his little hands warm and for the first time I felt this sense of self sufficiency that I had never felt before.  

Handmade is perfectly imperfect, made from one person for another.  There is a sense of personality, and a time of decades past that I absolutely adore.  Being able to make your children what they need, what your home needs, what your nursery needs, what you need, brings such a sense of joy!  And if you can't make it yourself?  Buy handmade!  One of my absolute favorite things is when my customers buy for their new baby.  A take home outfit?  A security blankie?  Nursery decor?  I love the idea that something I made will be a part of a baby's first days :)   

Upcycled crochet rug
4. Where does your inspiration to create come from and/or your inspiration in life?
First and foremost, my inspiration comes from my children.  Seeing how they play, move, live in their spaces, and seeing what they need gives me more ideas that I can possibly design.  I am sure King Soleil will grow and change as they do.  Nature gives me the other piece to my inspiration.  Seasons here in New England constantly change the scenery outside my windows and show me more colors, shapes, and atmospheres that I could ever incorporate in my shop. 
  
5. Besides creating what else do you do? Do you have a full time job?
My other full time job is being a mommy.  Between running King Soleil and running after my two babies (both under the age of 4) I am always on the go, filling orders, creating new lines, playing games, making meals, tripping over toys, and loving every single second.  When I become overwhelmed I remember how lucky I am that I am able to spend every day with two loves of my life and being a designer and business owner. 
Flower Tutu Dress Crochet Bodice
6. When did you start thinking you were an artist?
It's funny, I never really thought of myself as an artist until I was dubbed that exact title in a magazine.  It then hit me, my gosh, I suppose I am!  Designing, creating, upcycling, and reinventing creates a kind of usable, wearable art.  I am honored to be called an artist.
  
7. Who has been most influential in your craft work?
I really couldn't name one person, as everyone in my life tends to bring something new and different to my products and business.  I love modern fabric designers and vintage shops; the juxtaposition of the two are really what shape my creations.
8. Where would you like to be in five years?
In five years I would like to be in a much larger studio with an attached King Soleil brick and mortar retail shop where I can also offer crochet and upcycling classes to kids and adults.  Oh! the possibilities! 

9. Is there anything you'd like to try doing that you haven't done?
crafts, sports, life in general? 
There are always new craft techniques that I cannot wait to try!  Quilting and knitting are the two next on my list.  I would love to try my own fabric design. I want to learn about carpentry and woodworking.  I want to scuba dive, even though this terribly frightens me!  I want to ride an elephant (outside of a zoo) and I would love to spend some time in South Africa with the Knit-A-Square charity group. 
    
Children's Crochet fingerless gloves
10. Besides online where else do you sell?
I sell in my Etsy shop, other online shops, a retail shop and an interior design studio.  I plan on also attending trade shows and craft shows this summer and fall.     

Ways to contact you:

*shop

*website*  
*blog*
*twitter*
*facebook *   
*email*

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the feature!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoyed this interview.
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan's work is so precious! I love the adorable photos of her items with the children. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete

your comments put a smile on my face go ahead leave one! :)

 
@moncy3.com 2009-2016